Monday, 7 October 2013

how to make t-shirt yarn

I saw this really gorgeous idea for a rug on facebook:
and I had some old tshirts that I was going to throw out because I didn't know what else to do with them so I did some googling and learnt how to make tshirt yarn from watching a youtube video so I thought I would put up a tut because not everyone has enough data bundles to watch youtube videos.

so
1) You need old tshirts

2) Cut the tshirt just under the sleeves:


so that the bottom part of the tshirt is now like a tube

3) Now you're going to fold it like so:
 
 
4) Now you're going to cut strips into it, but not all the way. I made mine about 1 1/2 inch wide


5) Now you're going to open it up and you'll have this weird ribcage like thing

6) Cut diagonally to get one long piece of "yarn"
 
Then just roll it up and use it as you like - I've started plaiting (braiding) mine using three balls of "yarn" to make a rug:
 
 
Now I just need some more tshirts to get old and worn!

No comments:

Post a Comment