Garlic butter (you can make this with freshly pressed garlic and plain butter but I'm too lazy)
A dash of Olive Oil
A pinch of Paprika
- Heat up the olive oil on a high heat
- Wash and pat dry the tubes, cut them smaller if need be
- Set a timer for two minutes (I use the timer function on my microwave)
- Make sure you have everything to hand and start the timer:
- Put the Calamari in the pan and after about 20 seconds add the butter
- Sprinkle the paprika over the pan (keep stirring the whole time so the calamari doesn't catch)
- Squeeze the lemon juice over it all and give a good stir
- Remove from heat after two minutes and serve immediately
You can serve this with rice or chips. Saffron rice goes nicely with it. You can also jazz it up with parsley.
This looks impressive and is way cheaper than any restaurant - frozen calamari from the supermarket or fish market is actually quite cheap. The thing about Calamari is that you either cook it incredibly quickly or really really slowly. Otherwise it turns into rubber.
Thank you to Mrs Brown for the tip about the paprika!